Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Salami/red onion pizza & Imperial beer…





I was at my neighborhood pizza place tonight picking up my favorite—salami/crispy red onion, thin crust.  Light on the sauce so that you can easily taste the melding of the toppings. There’s nothing quite as satisfying, as salty and savory as this combination on a cracker thin crust.  I first had salami/red onion pizza in, of all places, Playa Conchal on the Guanacaste coast of Costa Rica.  It was quite late as we had arrived in San Jose and had driven several hours to our resort.  The air was heavily humid as we were near the beach and there was a slight breeze, so salty you could taste it and feel it on your skin.

We were ravenous and wanted nothing more than a good meal and a good drink. After wandering around the nearly deserted row of bars and eateries, we found a cantina which was still open despite the late hour. Their house specialty was my first exposure to this crusty, salty salami & red onion goodness.  We had this pizza with Cerveza Imperial (the national beer of Costa Rica).  The bottles were so cold they were nearly frozen and melted in our warm hands.  Admittedly, I am not typically a beer drinker, but on this late night in this humid coastal town in a foreign land, I had never tasted anything as delicious as an Imperial and this pizza.  As we ate and drank I noticed that there were Iguanas climbing the walls of this patio bar. I, to this day do not know if it was because of the fatigue from traveling, the heat, the hunger, the lateness of night, the 3 cold beers I had back to back or a combination of the above, but I swear these Iguanas were at least 4 feet in length.  I later read that these green Iguanas are, although slightly off putting to us tourists, a desired component of the Costa Rican ecosystem in that eat a variety of insects and spiders.

This balmy, salty late night in Central America with my family, a few ice-cold beers, the salami/red onion pizza on a crispy crust (and yes, even the enormous Iguanas) are the stuff of dreams.