Saturday, October 12, 2019

My travels, how beautiful…



Several times I have been asked why I travel.  I think, down deep, it is as much as seeing is to experience these things.  I remember standing in Vernazza in Cirque Terre, Italy.  I woke up at dawn as I wanted to experience the sunrise over the Ligurian Sea.  It was exquisite.  There were rocks emanating from the shoreline.  I am sure these rocks were hundreds, if not thousands of years old. They will remain so long after I am gone. The sunset over the horizon in Alfama district in Lisbon.  It is the only neighborhood that remained after the earthquake that devasted this city in in 1755. That tabby cat that walked over to me with the silver bell on its neck. She lovingly licked my hand as my son and I sat while taking a break while trekking up the Rock of Gibraltar. So many experiences and memories that I cannot list them.  Later in life, when I reach a certain age, my travels may be limited due to physical decline. I will hold these memories close to me.   Experiences that I will forever treasure and will reach for, lovingly, gently.  These will always remain the photographs of my life.