Friday, January 14, 2022

After Life

I am watching the second season of a Netflix show, After Life, with Ricky Gervais. It’s a comedy but also has some very poignant moments. This one scene really resonated with me. He was sitting on a bench in the cemetery where his wife is buried. He has befriended an older woman who also visits her dead spouse daily. She says to him, “Live your life as if there is no tomorrow. Then you wake up and do it again. It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you live your life to the fullest and enjoy every second of it. And if you don’t think it is worth a try, why should I? I used to sit on this bench everyday by myself hoping that someone would come along who would understand. And it was you. You were in the same boat as me. You had lost someone. I just want you to find something that makes you want to get up in the morning. I’m still going. I know that I can’t replace Stan, but I’m not going to throw in the towel and the only thing that worries me right now is you not being happy. It’s all about hope. You’re allowed to miss Lisa and grieve and be angry, but I can’t bear the thought of you having no hope. It’s the saddest thing in the world to me, giving in. Please. Tell me you have hope.”