Sunday, January 14, 2018

All the time in the world...

I think when we’re young we feel we have all the time in the world. Time to do those things, however outrageous to other people. We make a bucket list and have the intent to follow it; we hold onto those dreams tightly. In the last few years I have experienced the joys and pains as every person who lives to a certain age has. I’ve traveled abroad and meandered through Europe.  I’ve lost my job and obtained another one.

I’ve witnessed my son growing up into a fine young man and graduating from college. He will soon be moving on and building his life, independent of mine. I’ve lost my father to cancer and I’ve placed my mother in an assisted living due to her diagnosis of dementia and her subsequent loss of independence.

The outcome of all of this is that I’ve come to realize not to put my dreams on hold. I can’t do this; I mustn’t do this. I’ve come to the conclusion to live my life and have no regrets.  I don’t want to be that person who, near the end of their life says, “I wish I would have done this.” The reality is that no one has all the time in the world.