Thursday, January 18, 2018

Isn't it strange and beautiful...

I met this woman by happenstance while doing laundry in Florence, Italy.  My son and I were on an extended holiday in Europe and as such were tasked with doing our laundry. Confounded by the intricacies of doing so in a foreign place, I lost 4 euros (about 5 dollars) in a change machine.  I was disgruntled but just thought it was the price I had to pay.  I sat down on 1 of the 3 seats available in this 10x10 foot smallish laundromat and waited as my clothes washed.  A woman sat down beside me and we started to chat.  I spoke English only and was amazed that this woman spoke fluent English as well. I told her about my travels and how I sometimes was confounded by the simplest things (doing laundry or finding the right train to get to my destination).  She pulled out 5 euros and said she found it in the laundromat machine when she was buying tokens.  She handed the euros to me and said that she had a feeling she would see me to give the euros back to me.  I was amazed at her honesty in doing so. Thinking back, I realize how strange and beautiful it is to have experiences like this.