Sunday, July 1, 2018

60 Minutes...



Tonight Q & I are watching the 50th anniversary special of 60 Minutes.  Every Sunday at 6p.m. we have watched this together for over 12 years.  We have our “clean out the ‘fridge night” where we eat anything we can put together: sandwiches from left over deli turkey and cheese; blt’s from a loaf of toasted bread, a few pieces of bacon, leftover salad.

In the beginning we watched Mike Wallace, Ed Bradley, Morley Safer.  These men have all passed away, but still the show continues.  Leslie Stall is still there and is joined by the newer correspondents: Anderson Cooper, Scott Pelley, Laura Logan.

I remember that I had watched this program (my favorite) when I was pregnant with Q. After he was born, at about a month old, I was holding him as I settled in to end my Sunday with it. It was 6p.m. 60 Minutes started with the familiar “tick, tick, tick”. Q turned his head toward the television in recognition of this sound.

I thought tonight how interesting it is how  seemingly familiar routines, these patterns, have such an impact on our lives.