Friday, September 21, 2018

Sage words and four mantras by Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh




“I think we always learn from our suffering.  From the ash of suffering, a phoenix can be born. That is why mindfulness helps us to look deeply into into the suffering we have. Many positives will come out of that. It depends on our way of responding to the event.”

 

“Happiness and suffering support each other.  They are inter-are.  It’s like the left and the right.  If the left is not there, there can be no right. The same thing is true with suffering and happiness. Good and evil are inter-are also. In every one of us there are good seeds and bad seeds. There is a lotus which grows out of the mud. We need the mud in order to make the lotus. You cannot grow the lotus on marble. You need to grow it on the mud. So, suffering is the type of mud we must be able to use in order to grow the flower of understanding and love. “


His four mantras you must say to your beloved:  

1.   “Darling, I am here for you.”

2.    “Darling, I know you are there." (To be loved is to be recognized as existing.)

3.   “Darling, I know you suffer.  That is why I am here for you.”

4.   “Darling, I suffer. I am trying my best to practice. Please help me.” (When you are deeply hurt by your beloved.)