Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Simple, quiet, happy...



This life is transient.  Spiritual thought leaders tell us that in the infinite universe our entire lives are equal to 30 minutes. The blink of an eye.  When I consider that I review, I briefly scan how I have lived my life thus far. It seems I was just a small girl.  Now I am a woman in middle age.  I do not take a large amount of time reviewing the past however. Doing so is not warranted.  Buddha teaches us that to live in the past is to carry a raft after crossing the river.  I do not wish to carry that raft.

Perhaps the genesis of my letting go of the past, being mindful of the present yet planning the next steps are due to my present circumstances.  I am in the middle of my life.  Some may argue that I am past that marker as I have lived 55 years.  My father has left this earth over 12 years ago, my mother is deteriorating due to dementia and my son is soon to launch into onto his own.  It is time for me to move forward.

I must take responsibility for living my best life. As such, I have chosen to let go of those material things which do not matter.  I have let go of things, circumstances and people who do not serve me. Soon I will sell the majority of my belongings (my furniture, my car, my household things). I will store those things which really matter: photos of family and friends, my son’s things from birth to present. 

I am moving to Portugal along with my 2 animals.  Portugal is exquisite. It is beautiful with its rocky Western coast along the North Atlantic Ocean and the warm Mediterranean climate in the South. It is steeped in old world European charm.  Moreover, it is safe for a single woman and it is quite inexpensive as compared to the U.S.  I will be able to live a very good lifestyle on a modest income. I will take public transportation instead of dealing with a car. Lastly, it is a place in which my family and friends will be able to visit me and share in the beauty of this place and its people.

I will be living my life as I see fit.  Few possessions/many experiences.  Simple, quiet, happy.