Saturday, November 24, 2018

The compass...



I bought a compass for my son as a graduation gift for completing college.  I found it in an antique store a year ago when I was walking by myself in the small town of Arles, France.   I don’t normally buy these things which I consider an extravagance. In this case, however, I wanted something that signified the confidence I had in him for the young man he was and the adult man he was becoming.

The owner of this small shop said the compass had belonged to a sailor who used it over a hundred years ago when at sea. He said the compass guided the ship in the direction in which it was meant to go.  

My son loves these things which are quite old and have held up to the test of time.  I hope he will hold this compass as a symbol of the direction he has chosen to take in life; to remain a man who is strong, steadfast and true.  Headed in the right direction in which he is meant to go.