Thursday, October 4, 2018

A slight shift...

There was a slight shift in me that day.  At exactly 4:35 p.m., at the age of 54 years and 5 months, it occurred.  This shift was sudden.  I am certain it was imperceptible to others. This shift was slight, akin to a second hand moving swiftly on a clock.  If not focused upon, that second would instantly be gone. Yet it was there.  I know this because a second must pass for time to move forward.   

There was no anger, no resentment at 4:35 pm. on that day. There was, however, a clarity in my decision to draw back and remove myself.  It has been 462 days since doing so. My life, though generally peaceful at the time, has become increasingly so. I can trace, month by month since that shift, an up ticking of movement as the days pass.  

I consider “happy” to be an overused word in our culture's vernacular.  Diluted down so that it has little meaning at all. A substitute for “happy” in describing how I feel now is "peaceful". I am light.  I am buoyant.

On rare occasions, past images flutter through my mind. They can be bitter sweet. When I reflect upon the genesis of these feelings, however, I realize the truth. That the thing which I thought I desired, in the way I had desired it,  had never really existed at all.